Back in the Courtroom: Practicing During the Pandemic Project
Wednesday, December 16, 2020
2:00 - 2:15 p.m.
Welcome and Overview of AAJ's Presidential Task Force
- In-person vs. virtual voir dire
- Where are trials happening?
- Scheduling your trial during a pandemic: good idea? If so, how?
2:15 - 3:15 p.m.
Conducting In-Person Jury Trials During a Pandemic
- Voir dire logistics
- Courtroom set up (A/V, social distancing, venue)
- Personal protective equipment for jurors, witnesses, attorneys, judges
- Live vs. virtual expert testimony
- Communication obstacles
- The "fear factor"
3:15 - 3:45 p.m.
How to Try Your Case to a Virtual Jury
- Voir dire and jury deliberations
- Opening statements and closing arguments
- Witness testimony
- Video depositions vs. live
- Using demonstratives with live witnesses
- Cross-examination using exhibits
3:45 - 3:50 p.m.
3:50 - 4:00 p.m.
Question and Answer Session
4:00 - 5:00 p.m.
Hosted by AAJ's Women Trial Lawyers Caucus via Zoom